Coarse raw sugar gives these nutty, chocolate-laced cookies a subtle crunch in every bite, but you can replace it with an equal amount of white sugar if needed. And trust us on the big pieces of chocolate: The matchsticks are what give these cookies their melty stripes.
Like this Bon Appétit recipe? There are plenty more where this came from. Subscribe to the magazine here!
- Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- ¾ cup (115 g) blanched hazelnuts
- 3½ cups (440 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) raw sugar or granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 (2-oz.) bittersweet chocolate bars, cut lengthwise into ¼"-thick sticks
- Flaky sea salt
- Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 300°F. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet on upper rack, tossing halfway through, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then chop very coarsely; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Whisk flour, kosher salt, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger in a large bowl to combine. Beat butter, granulated sugar, raw sugar, and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally, until pale and fluffy, 5–7 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-high and add eggs, one at a time, increasing speed to high after each addition to fully incorporate and stopping periodically to scrape down sides of bowl. Add honey and vanilla and beat just to combine. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients; beat until combined. Add chocolate and reserved nuts and beat just until incorporated.
- Scoop dough into 1½-oz. portions (about 3 Tbsp.); roll into balls (if the batter feels loose or sticky, chill 30 minutes). Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Arrange chilled cookies on 2 fresh parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2" apart; you should be able to fit about 12 cookies on each. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt. Bake, rotating top to bottom and front to back halfway through, until bottoms and edges are golden brown, 12–15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets. Place a fresh sheet of parchment on 1 baking sheet and repeat process with remaining balls of dough.
- Do Ahead: Dough can be made 1 month ahead. Transfer chilled balls to resealable freezer bags and freeze. Bake from frozen.
Source: Read Full Article