This tequila-infused carnitas recipe is perfect for festive occasions—or any weeknight you want to party. It’s also a great way to feed a crowd and is super simple to scale up—I make double or triple batches any time I have people over because everyone always wants seconds and thirds! I like to set out a spread of toppings, including queso fresco, chopped avocado, and sour cream, but you can choose any toppings you prefer. Also, if you are avoiding alcohol, feel free to swap out the tequila for additional broth.
- 4 servings
- Active Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 1/2- to 3-pound boneless pork butt roast, cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
- 2 tablespoons chile-lime seasoning (like Tajín)
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/4 cup 100% agave tequila
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Fine Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 small heads butter lettuce
- Toppings, such as queso fresco, avocado, sour cream, and/or hot sauce
- Rub the pork pieces evenly with the chile-lime seasoning. Place the pork in the Instant Pot. Add the broth, tequila, and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve. Set the pot to HIGH pressure for 60 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, use a natural release to depressurize.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork from the pot to a bowl. Use two forks to shred it into large bite-size pieces. Pour the cooking juices out of the pot into a separate bowl.
- Wipe out the pot. Select SAUTÉ and when the pot is hot, add 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil. Add about half of the pork to the hot oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is browned and slightly crisp in some places, about 15 minutes. Remove the pork from the pot. Repeat with the remaining pork and 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Return all the pork to the pot and season to taste with salt. Select CANCEL.
- Stir the cilantro, lime zest, and remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice into the pork. Skim the fat from the reserved cooking juices and add the cooking juices as desired to moisten the carnitas.
- Serve the carnitas with butter lettuce leaves and desired toppings.
Source: Read Full Article