Photo by Joseph De Leo, Food Styling by Anna Stockwell
You know pasta salad, but this is salad pasta. A whole salad’s worth of greens, folded into pasta to make a complete dinner in one bowl (or plate). We like to make this recipe with chickpea pasta for the added protein, and the garlicky anchovy sauce complements it especially well.
- 4 servings
- Active Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- 1 (2.2-oz.) can oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 head of radicchio, trimmed, quartered, leaves separated
- 1 (5-oz.) package baby arugula
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn if large
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine anchovies, garlic, oil, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until anchovies have disintegrated into oil and garlic is lightly browned, 6–8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Remove skillet with anchovy mixture from heat and stir in butter and lemon juice until butter is melted. Add pasta and 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid and stir constantly until a thick glossy sauce forms, adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed.
- Place radicchio in a large bowl. Add pasta and sauce and toss to coat, adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed. Add arugula and basil but don’t toss; season with salt and black pepper.
- Divide pasta among plates or bowls, very gently tossing so arugula gets coated in sauce but doesn’t wilt too much.
Source: Read Full Article