Brits love takeaway, with an average of £451 being spent a year on takeaway food. Every year, a typical UK resident orders 34 meals over the course of one year. Londoners spend the most on takeaway – an average £709 a year – and is the only area where people admit to ordering seven or more takeaways in one week.
McDonald’s Big Mac and fries recipe
You will need:
• 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
• A quarter head iceberg lettuce, finally shredded
• Half a white onion, finely chopped
• 400g beef mince
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 sesame seeded burger buns
• 2 slices of cheddar cheese or American cheese
For the Big Mac sauce:
• 300g Mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons vinegar
• Pinch of white pepper
• 2 teaspoons mild mustard
• 1-and-a-half teaspoons of garlic powder
• Half teaspoon smoked paprika
- Cauliflower cheese sauce recipe: How to make cauliflower cheese
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl for the Big Mac sauce. Add salt to taste, then place in the fridge to rest and chill until the burger is done.
Chop dill pickles, lettuce and onion until you are left with small slices. Season the mince meat with salt and pepper, then roll into four equal-sized balls.
Next, flatten them until you have four circle shipped patties, each one measuring around 6inches across.
Heat the pan with the olive oil inside, then fry the patties two at a time for around two minutes on each side.
While the last two patties are frying, toast the seeded buns under the grill. Assemble your burger, placing the cheese slice under the patties.
- Diet: ‘World’s smartest food’ can ‘improve reaction times by 10%’
For the fries, you will need:
• Four large potatoes
Peel the potatoes and cut into long, thin strips. Soak in cold water for around 20 minutes.
Heat up a deep-fat fryer or oil in a heavy-based pan or skillet
Add the chips and cook in the oil for around 12 minutes until light and crisp
Remove from the oil and pat dry with kitchen paper. Season with salt and enjoy.
- Bread recipe: Can I make bread with self-raising or plain flour?
Nando’s butterfly chicken
You will need:
• One whole butterflied chicken
For the marinade:
• 250g red bell pepper chopped
• 100g chopped onion
• 50g African red chillies, or any other variety
• 10-12 cloves of garlic
• 1 tablespoons paprika or red chilli powder
• Half teaspoons black pepper powder
• Half cup white vinegar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• Half cup olive oil
• 1 tablespoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoons lemon zest
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Add all the marinade ingredients into a blender or stick blender. Blitz until the sauce is smooth.
Transfer to a pan and cook mixture on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the pan and let it cool.
Place the chicken inside the bowl of marinade. Coat evenly in the marinade and leave for at least 24 hours in the fridge.
Place on a roasting tray, bake for 45 minutes and check chicken is thoroughly cooked through before eating.
KFC 6-piece bargain bucket
You will need:
• 2 eggs beaten
• 6 chicken drumsticks and thighs
For the spice mix:
• 2 cups white plain flour
• 1 third tablespoon of salt
• Quarter tablespoon basil
• Generous pinch of oregano
• Half tablespoon celery salt
• Half tablespoon black pepper
• Half tablespoon mustard powder
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• Half tablespoon garlic salt
• Half tablespoon ground ginger
• 1 tablespoon white pepper
- How to cook bulgur wheat
• Bag of oven chips
• 2 cans baked beans
• 6 corns on the cob
To cook the chicken, it is recommended you soak it overnight in buttermilk or normal milk.
If, however, time is not on your side, you can poach the drumsticks and thighs in the milk just 20 minutes before frying.
While the chicken is poaching, add the spice mix ingredients into a freezer bag and shake to ensure they’re combined.
After draining the chicken and allowing to cool for 15 minutes, pat dry and place inside the spice mix.
Coat thoroughly inside the freezer bag, then dip the chicken into a beaten egg and coat again with the mix.
As the chicken has already been cooked, you only need to deep fry each piece for one minute to get that desired golden and crispy texture.
Source: Read Full Article