"Traditional Greek New Year’s Day recipe. Served as a coffee cake for breakfast. Each person in the family gets a slice starting with the youngest and progressing to the oldest. The person who receives the slice with the quarter in it will have good luck for the whole year!"
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a round 10-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light; add flour and stir until mixture is mealy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Stir baking powder into milk then stir into flour mixture. Mix soda and lemon juice; stir into batter. Pour batter into the greased pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with nuts and 1 tablespoon white sugar, then return to oven for 20 to 30 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and gently cut a small hole in the middle. Place a quarter in the hole; cover the hole with powdered sugar. Cool cake on a rack for about 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving dish. Sift powdered over the top and serve warm.
Per Serving: 544 calories;24.1 g fat;74.1 g carbohydrates;9.4 g protein;162 mg cholesterol;345 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article