- Total: 1 hr 15 min(includes cooling time)
- Active: 25 min
- Yield:16 macaroons
- For the macaroons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, vanilla and almond extract. Mix in the coconut and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture, then gently fold in the sprinkles. Spoon lightly packed 2-inch balls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, 1 inch apart, and sprinkle the tops with more sprinkles.
- Bake until golden brown; begin checking for doneness at 18 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the topping: Place the sprinkles in a shallow dish. Microwave the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted (or melt in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often).
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate, scrape off any excess and then dip the chocolate in the sprinkles. Place back on the parchment and let cool at room temperature or in the fridge. These can be kept at room temperature for about 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Source: Read Full Article