I came across a variation of this soup in my Delish cookbook and knew I had to try it. So I tweaked it to my liking and adapted it for the slow cooker. Instead of the chicken, you can also brown up some ground beef and add that in at the start.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds removed for non-spicy)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) unsalted black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. each pepper, smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream, for serving
- Crushed Tortilla Chips, for serving
Grease the slow cooker (6 quart size). Place in the chicken, onion, peppers, jalapeno, garlic, beans, corn, tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Give it a stir, then set the lid on and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
Once the 6 hours is up, remove the chicken to a cutting board. Stir in the shredded cheeses until they are melted and incorporated in. Whisk the flour into the heavy cream until smooth, then stir that into the soup. Shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup. Place the lid back on and switch to high heat. Cook an additional 30ish minutes, until thickened and heated through. Taste to see if any additional seasoning is needed, then serve.
Source: Read Full Article