- 2 t vegetable oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage, halved lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch half-moons
- 1 lb 31-35 peeled and deveined (tail off if desired) shrimp
- 1 ea onion (chopped fine)
- 1 ea celery stalk (chopped fine)
- 1 ea green bell pepper (chopped fine)
- 5 ea garlic cloves (minced)
- 1.5 C long grain white rice
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 t kosher salt
- .5 t fresh thyme leaves (minced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 16 fl oz clam juice
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 2 ea green onion (sliced thin)
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add sausage and cook until browned (3 to 5 minutes), remove sausage using slotted spoon, and transfer sausage to plate lined with paper towel.
Add shrimp to pot and cook until shells are lightly browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer shrimp to large bowl and refrigerate.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic to pot, stir occasionally until vegetables have softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add rice, tomato paste, salt, and thyme and cook, about 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaf, and sausage, cover with aluminum foil directly on surface of rice.
Bring to boil, cover pot, transfer to oven, and bake until rice is almost tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Remove pot from oven, gently remove aluminum foil, and gently stir in peeled shrimp and any accumulated juices.
Replace foil and lid, return to oven, and cook until rice is fully tender and shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Remove from oven, discard foil and bay leaf, and fold in scallions. Serve and enjoy!
Source: Read Full Article