Photo by Chelsie Craig
We’ve never met a riff on larb that we didn’t like, including this vegetarian version, which forgoes the typical meat or fish for crispy shiitake mushrooms. Don’t even think about tossing, stirring, or shaking that pan until the mushrooms are golden brown and crisp. You want to achieve that flavorful texture before incorporating the additional aromatics.
- 4 servings
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps quartered
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced, rinsed
- 2 red chiles (such as Holland, Fresno, or Thai), thinly sliced
- 2 cups mint leaves, torn if large
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ½ cup coarsely chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- ½ head of green cabbage, halved crosswise, leaves separated
- Heat 5 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, tossing often and reducing heat as needed to avoid scorching, until golden brown all over, about 15 minutes.
- Add scallions, garlic, and ginger to skillet, followed by remaining 1 Tbsp. oil. Cook, stirring often, until aromatics are softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; season mushroom mixture lightly with salt. Mix in shallots, chiles, mint, fish sauce, and half of peanuts. Taste and season larb with more salt if needed.
- Transfer larb to a platter or large bowl. Serve with cabbage and remaining peanuts alongside.
Source: Read Full Article