I found this recipe on the pinch of yum site originally as a Vegetarian phad thai, a small tweak to convert it to Vegan.
- 1 Package brown rice phad thai noodles
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 onion (I use red onion, sweeter)
- 1 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1 egg beaten (I remit egg, taste and texture still good)
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used olive)
- 1/2 cup nuts (I use peanuts which I roasted)
- 3/4 cup cilantro, basil and green onion
- for the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (I use a premade fish substitute)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (I haved used coconut vinegar too)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
Place noodles in a bowl of cold water and soak per directions on package. I use this brand. You can find at your local Asian Market.
Spiralize the vegetables into noodle shapes. If the carrots are too small just cut them into small pieces or use cheese grater.
Put the sauce ingredients in a jar and shake well. I use a mason jar.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium high heat. Place vegetables in pan and stir fry for about 3 to 4 minutes. You will want the vegetables crisp and tender. Do not overcook. Once cooked place in bowl and set aside.
Add another tablespoon of oil to pan. Drain the noodles completely and place noodles in pan and toss with tongs for a couple minutes. Then add your sauce to the noodles and tossed again for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken and stick to the noodles. PLEASE READ STEP 6 AND 7 BEFORE REMOVING NOODLES FROM STOVETOP. (This pic w/egg already added)
IF NOT ADDING EGG: Toss in your vegetables you cook earlier. Using your tongs mix together then remove from heat. Stir in the peanuts and herbs and serve immediately. (Pic w/out egg)
IF ADDING EGG: push the noodles to one side of the pan. Pour the beaten egg mixture into the pan and let sit for about 30 seconds. Then combine eggs in with the noodles, toss with tongs a couple minutes until everything sticks together. Then add the cooked vegetables you set aside earlier, toss with tongs for a couple more minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the peanuts and herbs and serve immediately. (Pic w/egg)
Source: Read Full Article